Become part of our nationally-recognised professional Institute for excellence and enjoy a host of additional benefits.
MEMBER – for Blue Badge Guides
ASSOCIATE – for Green Badge Guides
AFFILIATE – for White Badge Guides
- CAREER BREAK - available to guides who expect not to work for the registration year (1 September – 31 August) and are therefore deemed to be non-active in the profession for that time.
- RETIRED - available to guides who are not working for a fee and are therefore deemed to be retired from the profession.
Benefits of membership (some do not apply to all categories)
- Protect your professional qualification.
- Vote on the future of qualified guiding.
- Prevent unqualified guiding by wearing your Institute photo card ID.
- Develop your skills through recognised training and Continuous Professional Development.
- Increase your client base by taking Institute language examinations.
- Qualify and get paid work as an Institute trainer, examiner or exam compiler.
- Influence your profession by serving on Institute committees.
- Stand for election to the Institute’s Board of Directors.
- Publicise your qualification with the letters MITG or AITG and your Institute-owned badge.
- Be counted as part of the qualified guiding community across the country.
- Promote your guiding services through the Institute’s online Guide Search.
- Stay up to date with the latest news in tourist guiding via “Communiqué”.
- Participate in the organisation that sets the standards of our industry.
How much does it cost?
Annual registration 2023-24 payable as an online payment via your bank or by direct debit:
Career Break £45
I used to be a member - I want to rejoin
To sit an Institute language examination, replace a lost or stolen badge, train as an Institute examiner, return from a career break - these are just a few of the many reasons why tourist guides whose membership has lapsed may want to rejoin the Institute.
To ensure continuing and consistent high standards of tourist guiding among our members, the Institute has a revalidation policy for lapsed members who rejoin. Please click here for further details.
I am a student on a tourist guide training course - do I need to join?
Students on Institute-accredited tourist guide training courses are automatically registered free of charge as Institute members for the duration of their course. At the end of the course, if they have qualified as a tourist guide, they are invited to join the Institute at the level and subscription appropriate to their qualification.
How to apply
Please download the membership application pack and e-mail all your completed forms to email@example.com.
We look forward to welcoming you on board.