Clifton House in Belfast
Clifton House, built by the Belfast Charitable Society, is an impressive Georgian building, set in tranquil landscaped gardens in the heart of Belfast. The Belfast Charitable Society was founded in August 1752 in a tavern called the George Inn on the corner of North Street and John Street, Belfast. The newly formed Society was made up of a group of leading Belfast citizens who played a key role in the development of the town and were at the forefront of providing welfare for its people.
Clifton House is one of the finest surviving pieces of Georgian Belfast and the oldest working building in Belfast. A section of the oldest part of the building is now operating as a Heritage Centre, offering daily tours during July and August, and weekly tours during other times of the year. Attached to Clifton House, is the Clifton House Graveyard where may of Belfast’s most notable citizens have been buried. Regular guided tours of the graveyard are also delivered. Guided tours are run by a team of volunteers and staff.
For more information about Clifton House, please go to http://cliftonbelfast.com/
The course has been accredited by the Institute of Tourist Guiding and is aimed at training volunteers and staff to guide in Clifton House.