The Institute of Tourist Guiding is a professional membership organisation which is committed to developing, maintaining and promoting professional standards in tourist guiding.
The Institute does not run tourist guide training courses, but we do provide information on where you can access courses we have accredited. Click here for details.
We are a non-profit-making organisation, generating income through examination and external course fees and subscription fees from our members.
The Institute's role includes the following:
- To accredit tourist guide training programmes
- To provide examinations and/or assessments for tourist guide qualifications at all our levels – Level 4 (Blue Badge), Level 3 (Green Badge) and Level 2 (White Badge)
- To award our Blue, Green and White Badge to successful candidates in our examinations
- To test language proficiency
- To train and accredit examiners, trainers and examination compilers
- To provide career development opportunities within the guiding profession
- To maintain the record of qualified tourist guides in England, Northern Ireland and Jersey
- To replace lost or stolen badges
- To seek, on behalf of the profession, to influence government, tourism bodies and the general public
Please see here for details about our qualificaitons.